English is an integral part of human development and communication. It leads to a more informed and fulfilled life through enjoyment of Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening. Therefore we wish to promote the children’s interest, achievements and enjoyment of English through stimulating language activities. We teach English at St. Joseph’s Primary School in order to:
- Develop in students the ability to speak, listen, read, view, compare, research and write with competence, confidence, purpose and enjoyment in a wide range of contexts
- Provide students with the skills to experience how language works and how to use it appropriately.
- Develop in students the confidence and competence to meet the demands of communicating in life.
- Foster in students the ability to use texts to explore ideas and to think critically about their world and global community.
- Empower students to evoke feelings, to form and convey ideas, to inform, to discuss, to persuade, to entertain and to argue a point of view.